Kyrene district releases statement on Conn. shooting
The Kyrene School District released the following statement after nearly 30 people were killed in a school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The statement has not been altered in any way.
Earlier today, we found out about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. We extend our deepest sympathies to the Newtown community.
Please be assured that Kyrene schools are continuing to follow our normal schedule today. Kyrene has a number of proactive measures in place to ensure the safety and security at all of our schools. Some of these include:
• During the school day all exterior doors to a school building are locked. The only point of entry into our schools is through the school offices.
• All of our schools have a virtual video fence where cameras operate 24 hours a day and act as a deterrent for unauthorized activity.
• All schools follow a comprehensive crisis plan and practice lockdown and fire drills on a regular schedule.
• When a school calls a lockdown, even District badges will not open an exterior door, and crisis personnel at the District office are automatically contacted.
• We regularly review our crisis plans and work closely with all local emergency agencies.
Kyrene continues to take the safety and security of our students and staff very seriously. Thank you for your continuing support.
David K. Schauer Superintendent