Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close

PHOENIX -- Some everyday household items can be especially dangerous to kids this time of year.

The number of child poisonings spikes during the holidays.

According to Dr. Frank Lovecchio, a poison-control specialist in Phoenix, houseguests can unknowingly put children at risk.

"They bring their medications and sometimes their medications are not in child-proof containers," Lovecchio said.

He said gadgets that run on tiny batteries are also dangerous.

"Little children can swallow those and they can get lodged or stuck in their feeding tube," Lovecchio said.

That can require emergency surgery.

Also, keep scented oils away from kids who might be tempted to drink them. They can cause pneumonia or even death. Parents should check carbon-monoxide detectors, too.

Jill Ryan, Reporter

share this story:
Attention Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.