Register | Forgot Your Password? | Close
A8-80DcCUAA9uVQ.jpg_large.jpg
A Glendale Fire Department Hazmat crew prepares to check out a scene where one man was hospitalized after inhaling nitric acid fumes. (Twitter photo/@Glendale Fire))

A 43-year-old man is in serious condition after inhaling nitric acid fumes on Friday, the Glendale Fire Department said.

Six one-gallon bottles of nitric acid were found by the man near a dumpster at mobile home park near 67th Ave. and Glendale.

"The park manager, who discovered the bottles, picked one of them up," said Michael Young with Glendale Fire. "One of the bottles was leaking nitric acid and he did inhale some of the fumes which made him very ill. He has been transported to the hospital."

It is unknown who left the bottles.

Glendale Ave. was shut down between 63rd and 67th avenues while Hazmat crews investigated. It was reopened about 5:15 p.m.

Martha Maurer, News Editor

share this story:
Attention KTAR.com Comment Users: We have recently changed our comments boards.
We would like you to be part of the conversation and The Voice of Arizona by logging in with your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus account. Existing KTAR (Arizona Sports) account members will need to create a Disqus account or use one of the aforementioned social media logins. Thank you.
comments powered by Disqus

World Class Arizona

  • Dignity Health

    World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.

Voice For A Better Arizona

  • Family in Focus

    KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.