PRESCOTT, Ariz. - Sprinklers in the basement of an historic hotel averted the second fire in less than four months on Prescott's famed Whiskey Row.
City officials say smoke was coming Tuesday evening from the basement of the three-story St. Michaels Hotel.
The hotel was built in 1901 following a July 1900 fire that destroyed an entire block of Whiskey Row.
Fire crews found a pile of burning rags atop a washing machine and say the sprinkler system kept the flames from damaging the hotel.
On May 8, a two-alarm fire caused by an appliance malfunction destroyed a restaurant, saloon and food store.
The 100 block of South Montezuma Street in downtown Prescott has been called Whiskey Row since before the turn of the century, when more than 40 saloons lined the street.
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.