Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and the press have often not gotten along, but it was taken to a new level on Thursday.
In a tweet, Arpaio specifically named several mainstream news sources in the Valley and said "they can no longer be trusted."
People very angry at Ch 5, 12 & AZRep saying their bias against me, my office & birther investigation is why they can no longer be trusted.— Joe Arpaio (@RealSheriffJoe) July 19, 2012
But Arpaio didn't stop there.
As this critical trail starts, @azcentral writes another mean, unfair editorial. Is the newspaper trying to influence the court? I wonder.— Joe Arpaio (@RealSheriffJoe) July 19, 2012
While Arpaio has had a long-standing feud with the alternative Phoenix New Times, he generally tolerates some of the larger media outlets in Phoenix.
Earlier this week, Arpaio announced that his Cold Case Posse, freshly returned from a Hawaiian investigation, had found conclusive proof that President Barack Obama's birth certificate was a forgery.
- Arpaio reveals Hawaii findings
- Arpaio: Some media outlets can't 'be trusted'
- Rival releases anti-investigation ad
- AZ Dem calls birther investigation a 'waste'
- Arpaio: Obama certificate is forgery
- Arpaio's Obama investigator selling book
- County rejects funds for 'birther' probe
- Hawaii verifies Obama's birth records
- Arpaio unveils Obama birth probe
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.