U.S. Senators John McCain and Jon Kyl gave a joint statement shortly after the Supreme Court's decision on SB 1070 was made known.
The decision struck down key portions of the law.
"While we still want to fully review the Supreme Court's decision, today's ruling appears to validate a key component of Arizona's immigration law, SB 1070. The Arizona law was born out of the state's frustration with the burdens that illegal immigration and continued drug smuggling impose on its schools, hospitals, criminal justice system and fragile desert environment, and an administration that chooses to set enforcement policies based on a political agenda, not the laws as written by Congress. We will continue our efforts on behalf of the citizens of Arizona to secure our southern border. We believe Arizonans are better served when state and federal officials work as partners to protect our citizens rather than as litigants in a courtroom."
Related: SB 1070 Decision
- Brewer: Arizona was made a target
- Decision on SB 1070: The good and the bad
- Official: Obama acting like 'a spoiled child'
- Arpaio doesn't believe racial profiling stats
- Feds to cut many immigration-related calls
- Public, Hispanics differ on immigration law
- Obama offers mixed verdict on 1070 ruling
- Romney: Immigration law is a 'muddle'
- Demonstrators protest Romney fundraiser
- Supreme Court upholds portions of SB 1070
- Brewer: 'A victory for the rule of law'
- Video: Matuz on Pat's Personal Portraits
- Photos: Supreme Court rules on SB1070
- Mexico laments part of US immigration ruling
- Federal hotline set up on Ariz. immigration
- Janet Napolitano pleased with ruling
- Arizona spends $3M on 1070 defense
- Parts of law before US Supreme Court
- Law drafter calls court ruling a 'victory'
- Mayor sees economic side of 1070
- Protests scheduled with SB 1070 ruling
- Phoenix PD's statement on SB 1070
- McCain, Kyl give statement on 1070 ruling
- Rep. Pastor issues statement on 1070
- State law challenges to move forward
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.