The Phoenix Police Department is reacting to the Supreme Court's decision on SB 1070 and reminding all citizens they do their jobs by "policing with a purpose" as their philosophy.
Senate Bill 1070 resulted in new state laws for Arizona. Most of the law has been in effect since July 29, 2010. It is the duty of the sworn officers of the City of Phoenix Police Department to enforce all laws.
The Phoenix Police Department embraces a philosophy of "policing with a purpose," focused on nurturing and protecting democracy, ensuring justice, embracing the spirit of service, fundamental fairness, and protecting our communities from harm. Treating people with dignity and respect is the ethical foundation of law enforcement.
The law went into effect on July 29, 2010, with the Federal District Court in Phoenix issuing an injunction blocking four provisions of the law (see attached). There are some basic facts everyone should know when discussing Senate Bill 1070:
The Phoenix Police Department has been enforcing the non-enjoined portions of SB1070 since July 2010, and will continue to enforce the law in compliance with the Supreme Court's decision.
Many individuals are concerned about the effect the United States Supreme Court ruling may have on the methods of the Phoenix Police Department to enforce the law. Everyone who lives in or visits our city should be assured that the officers of the Phoenix Police Department will enforce all laws, including SB1070, in a manner to ensure equal justice under the law is provided to every person irrespective of race, color or national origin.
The Phoenix Police Department will not tolerate a violation of any persons' civil rights.
The Phoenix Police Department will continue to concentrate our resources on crime suppression efforts specifically aimed at violent criminals and property crimes that have negative influences on our communities.
In anticipation of the Supreme Court ruling the Governor issued an executive order directing the Arizona Police Officers Standards and Training Board to provide training for all law enforcement in Arizona. We will continue to train the men and women of the Phoenix Police Department on proper procedures to ensure compliance with the highest professional standard of providing equal justice under the law.
The Phoenix Police Department is fully prepared to protect all individuals who exercise their First Amendment rights to demonstrate in a law-abiding manner, and will treat all people with dignity and respect while protecting the community from harm. Demonstrations held within the scope of the laws are constitutionally protected and will be protected by the Phoenix Police Department. Activities in violation of state law or city ordinances will not be tolerated.
The Police Department and the City Attorney are thoroughly studying the Supreme Court ruling that was issued this morning to ensure that our officers are complying fully with their decision.
The Phoenix Police Department, "Policing with a Purpose".
Related: SB 1070 Decision
- Brewer: Arizona was made a target
- Decision on SB 1070: The good and the bad
- Official: Obama acting like 'a spoiled child'
- Arpaio doesn't believe racial profiling stats
- Feds to cut many immigration-related calls
- Public, Hispanics differ on immigration law
- Obama offers mixed verdict on 1070 ruling
- Romney: Immigration law is a 'muddle'
- Demonstrators protest Romney fundraiser
- Supreme Court upholds portions of SB 1070
- Brewer: 'A victory for the rule of law'
- Video: Matuz on Pat's Personal Portraits
- Photos: Supreme Court rules on SB1070
- Mexico laments part of US immigration ruling
- Federal hotline set up on Ariz. immigration
- Janet Napolitano pleased with ruling
- Arizona spends $3M on 1070 defense
- Parts of law before US Supreme Court
- Law drafter calls court ruling a 'victory'
- Mayor sees economic side of 1070
- Protests scheduled with SB 1070 ruling
- Phoenix PD's statement on SB 1070
- McCain, Kyl give statement on 1070 ruling
- Rep. Pastor issues statement on 1070
- State law challenges to move forward
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.