Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said regardless of the decision by the high court, SB 1070 has done economic harm to the city.
"I support comprehensive immigration reform but not 1070. I believe we need stronger border security but 1070 and border security have nothing to do with each other," Stanton said.
Stanton said Phoenix will soon be a majority Latino city and that's a strength.
"It's a young population, a bilingual population and trade with Mexico will be an ever increasing part of our economy," Stanton said.
Stanton also would like state lawmakers to stop attempting to pass divisive laws, which he believes is sending a mixed message to the community, and is taking the focus off of the real issues like creating jobs and boosting education.
"I believe that from this day forward you are going to see much smarter public policy out of this state," Stanton said. "I think the business community, which understands that 1070 is not smart, economic policy, is stepping up to the plate in a much stronger way and they are going to do what they can to not allow these divisive bills pass."
Stanton also believes we can't have a patchwork of state laws on immigration around the country. He expressed the importance of Congress passing a comprehensive reform plan and doing right by the state and this country.
"We need comprehensive immigration reform, we need to support the dream act and we also need to continue to support strong border security," Stanton said. "I think that [Monday's] Supreme Court ruling hopefully laid bare that 1070 was not about border security but was about something much different and of course the Supreme Court said that most of 1070 was unconstitutional."
Related: SB 1070 Decision
- Brewer: Arizona was made a target
- Decision on SB 1070: The good and the bad
- Official: Obama acting like 'a spoiled child'
- Arpaio doesn't believe racial profiling stats
- Feds to cut many immigration-related calls
- Public, Hispanics differ on immigration law
- Obama offers mixed verdict on 1070 ruling
- Romney: Immigration law is a 'muddle'
- Demonstrators protest Romney fundraiser
- Supreme Court upholds portions of SB 1070
- Brewer: 'A victory for the rule of law'
- Video: Matuz on Pat's Personal Portraits
- Photos: Supreme Court rules on SB1070
- Mexico laments part of US immigration ruling
- Federal hotline set up on Ariz. immigration
- Janet Napolitano pleased with ruling
- Arizona spends $3M on 1070 defense
- Parts of law before US Supreme Court
- Law drafter calls court ruling a 'victory'
- Mayor sees economic side of 1070
- Protests scheduled with SB 1070 ruling
- Phoenix PD's statement on SB 1070
- McCain, Kyl give statement on 1070 ruling
- Rep. Pastor issues statement on 1070
- State law challenges to move forward
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
Voice For A Better Arizona
- Family in Focus KTAR spends the week taking a look at the issues a modern Arizona family faces.