PHOENIX -- Thousands of people rallied outside of the Tent City Jail Saturday to oppose Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jail policies. Many of the same protestors will be protesting again now that the Supreme Court has announced its ruling on Senate Bill 1070.
Caroline Picker with Puente Arizona, an immigrant rights group, said the organization has a rapid response in place once the decision comes down, and will bring protesters to the ICE headquarters in Phoenix.
"Because no matter what comes down to that decision, we know SB 1070 is neither the beginning of what attacks immigrant communities," Picker said.
Arpaio was at Saturday's protests, and has said that his office is ready to deal with any scenario that develops once the high court deliver a ruling.
Protesters have made aware that their rally is planned to begin at 4 p.m.
Orlando Arenas is one of the many protesters.
"We're strictly nonviolent and we're committed to nonviolence," Arenas said.
Arpaio said that Saturday's protest cost taxpayers thousands of dollars, and said that he's sending the bill to protest organizers.
Related: SB 1070 Decision
- Brewer: Arizona was made a target
- Decision on SB 1070: The good and the bad
- Official: Obama acting like 'a spoiled child'
- Arpaio doesn't believe racial profiling stats
- Feds to cut many immigration-related calls
- Public, Hispanics differ on immigration law
- Obama offers mixed verdict on 1070 ruling
- Romney: Immigration law is a 'muddle'
- Demonstrators protest Romney fundraiser
- Supreme Court upholds portions of SB 1070
- Brewer: 'A victory for the rule of law'
- Video: Matuz on Pat's Personal Portraits
- Photos: Supreme Court rules on SB1070
- Mexico laments part of US immigration ruling
- Federal hotline set up on Ariz. immigration
- Janet Napolitano pleased with ruling
- Arizona spends $3M on 1070 defense
- Parts of law before US Supreme Court
- Law drafter calls court ruling a 'victory'
- Mayor sees economic side of 1070
- Protests scheduled with SB 1070 ruling
- Phoenix PD's statement on SB 1070
- McCain, Kyl give statement on 1070 ruling
- Rep. Pastor issues statement on 1070
- State law challenges to move forward
- Dignity Health World Class People. World Class Company. Excellent care, delivered with compassion, for all in need.
- Eyes on Education A view of Arizona's education system from all angles.