Bonneville Phoenix Network
 KTAR News
 Arizona Sports
92.3 FM KTAR
close_menu
LATEST NEWS
Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:57 pm

Five treated for burns after science experiment goes bad

PHOENIX — Five people from La Jolla High School in Avondale were treated for burns Tuesday after a science experiment went wrong, a fire official said.

“We were told an experiment had involved an ignition source,” said Avondale Fire Department Deputy Chief Ron Deadman. “But when the ignitio source went off, it had a bigger effect than planned and caught another chemical on fire temporarily which caused the burns.”

The victims are aged 29, 18, 17, 16 and 15. Deadman said the eldest victim was reportedly a teacher and leader of an after-school science program.

Two of the three hospitalized are seniors and the other student is a sophomore. Their names
haven’t been released yet.

Phoenix TV station KTVK reports that the students suffered some burns on their
faces and hands but the extent of the injuries isn’t immediately known.

Avondale Fire Department officials say the three were taken to a burn unit for
treatment.

The chemicals involved are unknown.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus