PHOENIX — A hotel in northwest Phoenix was evacuated for the second time in two days
because of the smell of natural gas.
Television station KTVK reported that people were evacuated from the same four-story Holiday Inn Tuesday morning after an
employee smelled the rotten-egg odor of natural gas.
Approximately 140 employees and guests were evacuated from the hotel at Cactus Road and Interstate 17 Monday morning when a natural gas leak was
detected in the area.
However, Fire Capt. Scott McDonald said there’s no new leak.
McDonald said the odor resulted from residual gas that dispersed when a
Southwest Gas machine being used to suck gas from the ground at the site of
Monday’s repair was turned off for refueling.